Prevent Water Damage From Your Washing Machine
Washing machines are a modern convenience in the common household. They make our lives so much easier when it comes to doing multiple loads of laundry, especially if you have a full household. Let’s be honest, who wants to venture out to a nearby laundromat or even worse, whip out the old washboard? Over time, washing machines can start to wear out leading to several problematic issues such as flooding and excessive water damage in your Avondale, Goodyear or Southwest Phoenix home.
Flooding in your home can be extremely stressful and chaotic. From the damage it can cause to your home and personal belongings, to the dreaded bill that comes with repairing the appliance and for water damage restoration. Water leaks from washing machines are one of the top 10 sources of water damage in homes. Here is some helpful information for Avondale, Goodyear, and Southwest Phoenix residents to consider in order to prevent your washing machine from causing a water leak or flood in your home.
- Don’t use too much detergent. Using too much can cause a build-up in the washing machine’s overflow tube.
- Don’t overload the washing machine. Doing so will cause your washer to start shaking and could potentially cause your hoses to loosen.
- Inspect the supply hose to see if it’s showing signs of wear and tear. Look for cracks, worn tubing, or a loose connection. If the hose is loose, tighten the connection. If the hose is showing some wear and tear, replace with a reinforced steel braided hose.
- Replace supply hoses every five years, even if there’s no wear and tear. There may be damage on the inside of the hose and you don’t want to risk it deteriorating from the inside out.
- Consider replacing your water connections with a single lever shut off valve. This lever makes it much easier to shut the water off when, for instance, a sudden leak from your washing machine takes place. It’s also handy to shut off when you’ll be away from home for a few days. The last thing you want is to come home to a flooded home!
If you’re facing water damage from a washing machine in your Avondale, Goodyear, or Southwest Phoenix home, you can depend on SERVPRO to answer the call when you’re in need! SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is available 24/7 to begin the restoration process of getting your home back to normal “Like it never even happened.” Call us today (623) 537-9999 for more information!