Meet Our SERVPRO Elf On The Shelf
Check us out on Facebook and Instagram to see what kind of trouble our Elf on the Shelf causes!
It's the most wonderful time of the year! The holidays are just around the corner and SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is here to provide you with some good ol' holiday fun and cheer. This year, Elf on the Shelf has invaded our SERVPRO office and so far, has been causing quite a few disasters left and right. From water damage to fire damage, our very own SERVPRO mascots, Stormy and Blaze are on hand to tackle the cleanup process that this little trouble maker has caused.
Head on over to our Facebook and Instagram pages to watch our Elf on the Shelf chronicles unfold!
In the meantime, if your home or business is dealing with water, fire, or smoke damage caused by your own Elf on the Shelf, give our office a call. We are always here to help!
Halloween Safety 2019
Have a fun and safe Halloween!
The colder temperatures have officially hit Avondale. The fall season is in full swing here in the Valley and you know what that means! Costumes, trick or treating and parties. Halloween is just around the corner which can leave many of us scrambling to put up last minute decorations. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix have put together some safety tips so you and your loved ones can be safe this Halloween.
- Keep flammable decorations such as spider webs, gauze and crepe paper away from lights, heaters and lit candles.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. If you do decide to burn a candle to create that spooky ambiance, make sure that it is on a stable surface where it won’t be easily knocked down and make sure that you are within its vicinity. If you decide to light up a jack-o-lantern, use battery opted candles instead.
- Don’t overload your extension cords and make sure that outdoor extension cords are used outdoors only.
- Place reflective tape on costumes so that drivers can easily spot your trick or treaters while they’re out and about. Teach your children to stay on the sidewalk, travel in groups, and carry glowsticks or flashlights.
- Drivers should remain cautious while driving out in the roadways. Drive slowly and proceed through intersections and crosswalks safely. Be extremely careful when pulling in and out of driveways.
Avoid A Grease Fire In Your Goodyear Home
Follow these simple steps to avoid a grease fire from occurring in your Goodyear home.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the leading cause of kitchen fires is due to unattended cooking. Grease fires can take place if you’re not following the proper precautions when it comes to cooking on your stovetop. What can start out as small flames can quickly spread to your kitchen and the rest of your home causing much devastation to you and your family. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix have put together some helpful safety tips to help you avoid a potential grease fire from occurring in your Goodyear home.
- Do not leave your pan unattended while cooking.
- Make sure that your food is thawed out properly as you want to avoid adding frozen food to hot grease.
- Heat the oil slowly and avoid adding oil to an already overheated pan to avoid oil from splattering everywhere.
- Once the oil is heated to the correct temperature, slowly add the food.
- If small, manageable flames occur, use baking soda or a pan lid to smother the flames.
- Remove any flammable objects such as kitchen towels and potholders away from the stove.
- Never use water to extinguish flames. Instead, make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen to use when necessary.
- If the flames become too big to manage, don’t risk it. Immediately evacuate your home and call 911.
Count On SERVPRO To Help With Storm Damage
You can trust SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to take care of your home or business in the event of flooding from a storm.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is always here to help when it comes to dealing with storm damage. Although the monsoon season has ended here in the Valley, it’s not uncommon for us to experience rainstorms that can dump tons of water causing flooding in residential and commercial properties. Our SERVPRO technicians are experienced in dealing with flooding situations that cause water damage to your Avondale or Goodyear property. You can trust our technicians to properly dry out the moisture with our SERVPRO extraction and drying equipment. Our SERVPRO technicians also use special moisture reading tools to detect where the moisture has traveled to so they can ensure they dry out the moisture properly to prevent mold growth from occurring. Our technicians will monitor your home until the property is fully dried and restored to its previous condition.
SERVPRO is always here to help. We are available 24/7 to personally answer your call. Give us a call to find out more!
Broken Pipe? Here’s What To Do
Broken pipes can wreak havoc on your property. Call today so we can dry your home or business.
Whether you are a homeowner or business owner, a broken pipe can mean the worst, especially with the damage it can wreak on your property. From the water-soaked floors, walls, ceiling, not to mention the damage to your personal property such as furniture and personal keepsakes can be very upsetting. Let’s not forget the loss of production time if a broken water pipe happens in a business or commercial property setting.
Here are some important things to do when you discover a broken pipe in your home or business to lessen the water damage that could occur in your Avondale home.
- Shut off the water valves right away to stop the water from flowing everywhere. It’s important for you to know where the shut off valves are located whether you’re in a home or business.
- Practice safety when it comes to water flooding your property. Proceed with caution when electricity is involved and be sure to shut off electricity to the entire property. You can then start moving your furniture and getting your personal items out of standing water.
- As much as you want to save money and try fixing the plumbing issue yourself, call a plumbing professional to fix the broken pipe. Once it is fixed, the drying and restoration of your home or business can begin. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix can restore your home back to its previous condition “Like it never even happened.”
When you’re dealing with a broken pipe, give SERVPRO a call right away. Quickly addressing the moisture issue from the water damage can inhibit the possibility of mold growth from occurring. Give SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix a call to learn more.
Fire Prevention Week October 2019
Check out www.nfpa.org for more information on fire safety.
For nearly 100 years, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has supported the public observance of Fire Prevention Week which, this year, happens October 6-12. The purpose of National Fire Week is to educate the public on how they can protect themselves, as well as their loved ones, in the event of a fire. This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign message is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!”
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), you can have as little as one to two minutes for you and your family to safely escape your home in the event of a fire.
The NFPA has put together these simple steps to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
- Plan an escape route for all members of your household. You can try mapping it out and include all the entrance/exits as well as windows.
- Test your smoke alarms to ensure they are running properly.
- Decide on a safe location to meet outside.
- Make sure you post the escape plan up for everyone in the household to see.
- Do several test runs of your home fire drill.
For more information, visit www.nfpa.org.
Prevent Water Damage From Your Dishwasher
Dealing with water damage in your kitchen from a dishwasher leak? Give us a call today!
Whether it’s a residential or commercial property, you can expect to see a dishwasher once you step foot into a kitchen. With our hectic schedules, dishwashers can make daily kitchen duties so much easier. But with this kitchen appliance, water damage can occur due to a variety of reasons. Here are some ways to prevent this from happening in your Avondale home or business.
- To ensure that all of your dishes are washed properly, make sure that you don’t overload your dishwasher. Frequently overloading the dishwasher can cause it to leak.
- Routinely check the dishwasher door to make sure that the rubber seal is in good condition. This will prevent water from leaking out from the door when the dishwasher is in use. If there’s a crack or any noticeable damage to the hose, make sure to replace it to prevent water from escaping.
- Inspect the tub for any signs of damage as this can occur from regular usage. Once you discover damage to the tub, discontinue use and replace the unit.
- Make sure you are using the correct detergent specifically designed for dishwashers to prevent residue build-up or a blockage.
If you find yourself dealing with water damage from your dishwasher, give our office a call. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is trained to handle the water damage cleanup and restoration caused by a dishwasher leak. We use moisture readings to track where the moisture is and use air movers and dehumidifiers to properly dry out your property to make it "Like it never even happened."
Water Damage From Washing Machine In Your Home?
Water damage from your washing machine? Let our SERVPRO techs handle the water damage cleanup!
Imagine that you’ve just come home from a long day at work. You walk through the front door, kick off your shoes and walk towards your room to change into some comfortable pj's so you can relax and unwind from the day. As you walk past the laundry room, you notice that your feet are completely soaked from a pool of water on the floor. Upon closer inspection, you notice that it’s coming from the laundry room. Water is leaking from your washing machine. What exactly do you do in a moment like this? SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix put together some tips to help you avoid what could be a costly repair.
Supply Hose Leak
More than 50% of washing machine damages are caused by supply hose failure. This can be because of wear and tear throughout the years or a poor connection between the wall and the machine.
A clogged drain can cause water to back up which will lead to water flooding onto your floors. A variety of factors can cause this such as a clog in the drain, material blocking the water pump filter or impellers, or a water pump failure among other things.
Regularly overloading the washing machine can cause valves to loosen. Other internal leaks can also occur from old washing machines or one that is not installed properly.
Once you have identified and repaired the water leak with your washing machine, go ahead and give SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix a call. We can properly dry out the moisture caused from the water damage in order to prevent mold growth from occurring.
Practice Safety To Avoid A Kitchen Fire
Never leave a kitchen stove unattended while it's in use.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen. It’s important to be completely alert and take all the necessary precautions when it comes to preparing a homecooked meal in your kitchen. Here are some safety tips to avoid a potential fire from occurring in your kitchen.
- Make sure your fully alert when cooking. Avoid operating the stove if you’re sleepy or have consumed alcohol.
- Keep anything that can easily catch on fire away from the stove such as oven mitts, towels, kitchen rags, paper, etc.
- Do not leave the kitchen while the stove is in use, especially if you’re boiling, frying and grilling on the stovetop. If you are baking or roasting, use a kitchen timer to remind you to check on your food.
- If a grease fire starts, simply place a lid over the pan, remove from heat, and turn off the stove. You can also use baking powder to extinguish any small and manageable flames. Use a fire extinguisher as a last resort. Never try to extinguish flames with water.
- If the flames become unmanageable, have you and your family get out of the house immediately and call 911. Close the door to your home to keep flames from escaping.
We hope that by following the above safety tips, you can avoid a kitchen fire from occurring in your home. But in the event of fire or smoke damage, you can call SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest to tackle the cleanup and restoration. Our SERVPRO techs are trained and experienced in fire and smoke damage cleanup.
Candle Safety Tips 101
Treat candles with care as it is an open flame that can spread flames in your home if not handled properly.
After an almost non-existent monsoon season, it looks like the cloudy skies and rainstorms have finally decided to arrive in Avondale and the greater Phoenix area. The cooler double digit temperatures, (still in the 90’s but we’ll take it), and the overcast skies have marked an excellent beginning to the official start of the fall season and we all know what that means! Sweater weather, Halloween decorations, pumpkin everything, and let’s not forget the candles which can add that fall ambiance we so desperately wanted during 110+ degree temps in the summer. While they may be calming and aromatic, they can pose a serious fire hazard if the proper precautions are not taken. Here are several candle safety tips to take to avoid a potential house fire from occurring.
- Keep your hair and loose clothing away as you’re lighting the candle.
- Never leave candles unattended. Always blow them out before leaving a room or going to bed.
- Keep candles away from anything that can easily catch on fire.
- Make sure the candle is on a stable surface so that it won’t tip over or be knocked off.
- Use flashlights or battery-operated candle lights in the event of a power outage.
Although candles are a nice touch to the start of a cozy season, it’s extremely important to practice fire safety to prevent an open flame from spreading in your home. According to the National Fire Protection Association, “more than one-third of home candle fires start in the bedroom”. Simply following the above safety tips can ensure that you and your loved ones are safe while still enjoying the lovely fall atmosphere here in the Valley.