If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (623) 537-9999

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Practice Electrical Safety

10/10/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Practice Electrical Safety If you detect a burning smell or sparks coming from an electrical outlet, be sure to contact a qualified electrician to inspect.

We use electricity every single day. From the moment we flip on a light switch or charge our phones, it’s there and will continue to be a part of our everyday routine. We oftentimes forget just how integral electricity is in our daily lives until we experience something like a power outage or forget to pay our electric bill. Simply put, electricity makes our lives so much easier. Nevertheless, we need to practice safety and caution when it comes to electricity in our homes or businesses. Here is some essential information regarding electrical safety that all homeowners and business owners in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix should be aware of.

  • Don’t plug too many appliances that are in use in one outlet, especially if it’s a heat producing appliance such as a crock pot, toaster, or a space heater.
  • Plug major appliances (such as stove, refrigerator, washer/dryer, microwave, etc.) directly into a wall outlet. Do not plug them into extension cords or power strips.
  • Do not have electrical cords running underneath carpets/rugs as you run the risk of heat building up and potentially starting a fire.
  • Do not use extension cords for an extended period. They are only meant for temporary usage.
  • Hire a professional and qualified electrician to handle all electrical work. Don’t try and do it yourself to try and save a few bucks.
  • If you’ve bought a new home or are planning on remodeling, make sure the electrical work is in accordance with local requirements.

If you encounter any electrical issues such as flickering lights, constant blown fuses or tripped circuits, a burning smell from an outlet, or sparks coming from an outlet, please contact a qualified electrician to assess the situation.

If you are dealing with fire or smoke damage from an electrical fire, contact SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623) 537-9999. We are always here to help.

Other News

View Recent Posts