Prevent a Dryer Fire in Your Home
Clothes dryers are a modern amenity in every household. Let’s be honest, they make the laundry process so much easier, right? If it weren’t for dryers, we’d still be hanging our clothes out on the clothes line which can be a little hard to do, especially when you live in the city. Oftentimes, due to our busy schedules, we forget about simple dryer maintenance such as cleaning out the lint filter, vacuuming underneath and around the dryer, and keeping all flammable materials stored away from the dryer. Here are some tips for Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix residents to remember when it comes to dryer safety and maintenance.
- Do not leave your dryer running in an empty house. Always make sure you are nearby, just in case.
- Be sure to clean out the lint filter before and after each usage. You want to make this a habit in your laundry routine. Even a little lint buildup can lead to a potential fire starting.
- Do not store items on top or around your dryer. This includes items such as towels, blankets, clothes, etc. Do not store any flammables such as household cleaners nearby as well. In the event of a potential fire starting, you do not want to add additional fuel to a flame. Make sure to sweep or vacuum underneath and around your dryer to pick up any lint that may be collecting.
- Be sure to inspect the vent hose (located behind your dryer) for wear and tear. If your hose is plastic or a foil accordion style hose, replace with a metal hose as these are more durable. A plastic or foil accordion style hose can have a buildup of lint on the inside.
- Have your venting and exhaust system inspected every year. It’s best to contact a qualified professional to do some cleaning and inspecting to ensure that everything is running properly.
When it comes to heat-producing appliances, it’s best to practice extra caution, especially when it comes to your clothes dryer. Nearly 3,000 dryer fires are reported each year. Be sure to practice these safety tips to ensure your home and family is safe from potential fire damage. For more information on fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623)537-9999.