Be Safe This Halloween!
Halloween is just around the corner and will be here before you know it. Of course, it can be fun and games, trick or treating, decorations, parties, costumes, and jack-o-lanterns, but it’s always important to adhere to proper precautions to ensure your Halloween is celebrated safely. Here are some helpful tips to keep you and your family safe while you're out and about and to also keep you safe from potential fire damage.
- Yes, candles can be fun and can add a “spooky” ambiance. If you’re going to use candles, make sure you are nearby. NEVER leave lighted candles unattended, especially those that are in jack o’ lanterns that are left outside. You never know when heavy wind gusts or perhaps, someone could accidentally knock a pumpkin over leading to flames spreading. Instead, opt for battery operated candles which are much safer.
- Avoid using flammable decorations such as crepe paper for instance. You can use these but keep them away from heat sources such as lightbulbs, stringed lights and heaters. The same applies for decorations such as corn stalk material.
- Choose the right costumes that are made of flame-resistant materials. You also want to make sure they are the right size to prevent tripping or falling.
- Make sure to place reflective tape or stickers on costumes so that you are seen while out navigating streets at night. Provide your children with flashlights or glow sticks to carry while they are out trick or treating so that they are visible to drivers on the road.
- Travel in groups and always be on alert. Always use the crosswalk and obey traffic signals. Be extremely cautious when crossing driveways.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix provides these safety tips so that you can have a fun and safe Halloween!