Holiday Safety Tips for Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix Residents
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, isn’t it? Cooler temps mean the holiday season is in full swing! Temperatures here in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix have finally cooled down to where we actually get to make use of our car heater in the mornings! But we’re not complaining, these cooler temperatures are always a nice welcome after the 115 degree summer temperatures we face.
With Christmas just around the corner, SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix wants you to be safe. We’ve put together a list of Holiday Safety Tips as it’s important to be reminded of general safety tips to keep you and your loved ones safe when it comes to decorations this season.
- Inspect electrical decorations such as Christmas lights, lighted garland and Christmas displays. Make sure the sockets aren’t cracked or damaged. Also check for exposed wires and loose connections as you want to prevent shocks and a fire from occurring.
- Protect electrical cords from damage such as being squashed by furniture or against walls. Do not have them running underneath rugs or hang them using staples.
- Don’t overload the electrical sockets. This is a common cause for holiday fires. Plug only one high-wattage appliance into each outlet at a time.
- Avoid connecting more than three string lights as this can blow a fuse.
- Do not connect extension cords together. Take time to find the correct length to avoid them getting tangled or stretched.
- Keep decorations such as garland, tinsel, crepe paper and anything other decorations that are flammable away from heat sources such as a fireplace, candles, and space heaters. Be sure to keep them at least 3 feet away.
- If you have a fresh Christmas tree, don’t forget to water it daily. A dry tree can quickly erupt in flames.
- Keep an eye on candles that are lit. Never leave lit candles unattended. Instead, try opting for battery opted candles.
- When hanging lights outside, do not use nails or staples as they can cause damage to the wires. Use hooks or hangers which are recommended for outdoor usage.
- Always remember to unplug the lights when you are away from home or asleep.
For more information on fire damage and restoration services, contact SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623) 537-9999 or check us out at www.SERVPROavondalegoodyearsouthwestphoenix.com. We are available 24/7 and are always here to help.