Fire Prevention Week October 2019
For nearly 100 years, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has supported the public observance of Fire Prevention Week which, this year, happens October 6-12. The purpose of National Fire Week is to educate the public on how they can protect themselves, as well as their loved ones, in the event of a fire. This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign message is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!”
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), you can have as little as one to two minutes for you and your family to safely escape your home in the event of a fire.
The NFPA has put together these simple steps to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
- Plan an escape route for all members of your household. You can try mapping it out and include all the entrance/exits as well as windows.
- Test your smoke alarms to ensure they are running properly.
- Decide on a safe location to meet outside.
- Make sure you post the escape plan up for everyone in the household to see.
- Do several test runs of your home fire drill.
For more information, visit www.nfpa.org.