Recent Storm Damage Posts
Prevent Storm Damage In Your Avondale Home
Prevent storm damage from affecting your Avondale home.
Monsoon season here in Avondale, Goodyear and for most of the Valley, has had a pretty slow kickoff than what we are normally used to seeing. This monsoon season, the valley has seen rainfall amounts of .27” which is 83% below normal than the 1.55” of what we’ve typically averaged. We have a good month left in the monsoon season and we have our fingers crossed that we’ll be receiving some much needed moisture in our desert Regardless of a slow monsoon season or not, it’s important for homeowners to understand storm damage and how to reduce the chances of it affecting your property. Here’s how to do so.
- Prepare for the storm season or incoming storms by inspecting your property and making the necessary repairs before a storm arrives.
- Prepare for an incoming storm by placing sandbags around your home to divert water and mud away from your property, especially if it’s in a low elevation area. Make sure to trim any tree branches that have the potential of landing on your home.
- Inspect your property after a storm.
- If you discover damages, make sure to repair them right away.
In addition, some extra safety measures to take into consideration are:
- Report storm damage to public streets and roads such as flooded areas, downed trees, and power lines.
- Pay attention to the news and weather stations so you are up to date on incoming storms.
- Make sure you know where to acquire materials such as sandbags.
- Prepare an emergency kit which should include a first aid kit, food and water that’s lasts up to 5 days, blankets, batteries and flashlights.
Mold Growth From Storms In Your Goodyear Home
Think you have mold? Give SERVPRO a call today.
Avondale, Goodyear, and the rest of the Phoenix valley has received significant rainfall amounts beginning in October of last year making for an extremely wet winter, one that Phoenix residents aren’t particularly used to seeing. According to the National Weather Service, “At more than a third of the way through our water year (Oct.1-Sep.30) Phoenix has received 8.42" of rain. This makes 2019 the 4th wettest water year to date in the period of record!” (National Weather Service).
Although this added moisture can be great for our region, it can cause problems for some homeowners, particularly with mold growth. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix has received many calls from desperate homeowners looking for solutions once they discovered mold growth on their property.
If you have discovered mold growth in your home, give our office a call for an inspection and Mold Damage Assessment at 623-537-9999. SERVPRO is always here to help 24/7.
Outdoor Thunder & Lightning Safety Tips
Stay safe during thunder and lightning storms this monsoon season!
Monsoon season is just around the corner here in Avondale, Goodyear, and the rest of the Phoenix area. Monsoon storms will be here before you know it. With the constant rainstorms throughout the summer brings blowing dust, roaring thunderstorms, and a sky lit up with lightning bolts. Although a lightning storm can be exciting to watch unfold in the skies above, it’s always important to consider your safety when doing so. SERVPRO put together some helpful tips to keep you and your loved ones safe while observing nature’s wonders.
Outdoor Safety Precautions
- Avoid outdoor activity during a thunderstorm. If you find yourself outdoors and you hear thunder, immediately get indoors or seek shelter elsewhere in an enclosed space.
- Always use the 30/30 Rule. After you see lightning, count to 30. If you hear thunder roar before you get to 30, get indoors immediately. Wait 30 minutes until after the last sound of thunder before you can continue outdoor activities.
- Stay away from concrete floors and walls as electrical currents can travel through metal wires that are in the floors or walls.
Indoor Safety Precautions
- Avoid using water during a thunderstorm since electrical currents can travel through plumbing.
- Avoid using electronics.
- Avoid using corded phones. Cell phones and wireless phones are okay.
These are the main outdoor safety precautions you want to follow when it comes to outdoor storm safety during the monsoon season.
Roof Leak? Here’s What To Do
Be sure to check your roof biannually for damages.
Roof leaks can be an annoyance to deal with for both home owners and businesses in Avondale, Goodyear, and Southwest Phoenix, especially when you’re dealing with them during our active summer monsoon months. Here are some tips we recommend to make sure that your roof is in excellent shape.
Inspect The Roof
If you are experiencing a leak, you may want to inspect the roof for damages. This could include missing shingles, wind damaged areas or damp areas. Each situation requires different types of repair. Make sure to inspect your roof biannually for damages.
Repair Damages Quickly
When you do discover what the cause of a roof leak is, it’s important to take action immediately and take care of repairs right away to avoid further damage.
Thoroughly Check Over The Area
Make sure to thoroughly check over your entire roof to make sure that there are no other damages. We recommend contacting a professional to make the needed repairs.
Experiencing Flooding From A Storm? Here's What You Should Do
We are ready to respond to your flooding emergency.
Rainstorms here in the Valley can dump significant amounts of rain, especially during monsoon season. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix responded to many homes and businesses affected by water damage due to these storms. Many residents and businesses were unprepared and had no idea what to do when they found that their building structures had flooding from the storms.
We are still a few months out until the 2019 monsoon season makes its grand entry but until then, here are some helpful tips to prepare you to know what to do in case your home or business is experiencing flooding.
- Remove excess water by mopping up or blotting with towels.
- Remove wet cushions from couches and chairs and prop them up. Follow the same steps for upholstery.
- Place furniture up on wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpets. Another alternative is to place aluminum foil between the furniture and wet carpet.
- Remove rugs from wet carpeting and pick up any of your belongings that are on the floor.
Once the above steps have been completed, go ahead and give us a call at (623) 537-9999. We’ll arrive so that we can begin the drying process.
Storm Damage During Monsoon Season
Removing water damaged wood flooring requires protecting non-affected areas from incidental damage during removal and restoration process.
Monsoon season in Avondale, Goodyear, and Southwest Phoenix typically begins around June and ends around September. Monsoon 2018 was pretty active and storms rolled through the Valley lasting until October which led to record rainfalls across the Valley. Unfortunately, monsoon storms can lead to pretty severe water and storm damage. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix received many calls from homeowners who were dealing with storm damage such as: flooded homes, leaky roofs, and downed trees causing broken windows. In the peak of monsoon season, we received a call from a homeowner in which their property, which is located in a lower elevation area, had experienced severe flooding in and around their home due to water flowing down from a nearby mountain. The floodwaters had entered the home which led caused damage to the resident’s wood floors, walls, furniture, and personal belongings.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix arrived on scene to begin the cleanup and restoration process for getting their home back in order.
If you’re dealing with storm damage or water damage, you can count on SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to help you in your time of need. We are available 24/7 to answer your call and will help get your home back up and running “Like it never even happened.”
Storm Safety Tips
Flooded roadways like this were seen during recent storms here in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix.
The monsoon season has officially wrapped up here in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix. We saw quite the storm activity in the Greater Phoenix area which led to dust storms and record rainfalls causing flooded roadways, knocked down trees and power-lines. Because of this, many homes and businesses experienced massive amounts of water and mold damage due to these heavy storms. Here at SERVPRO, we decided to put together some information regarding storms here in the Valley and how you and your family can be safe during one.
- Make sure to clean out your roof drains so that rain can properly drain to prevent water from collecting on your roof.
- Take time to trim trees around your home to prevent them from breaking and possibly falling on your home or vehicle.
- Secure outdoor furniture to prevent them from blowing away during heavy winds. Make sure children’s playground equipment is secured to the ground and any smaller outdoor furniture items are stored indoors or in your garage.
- It’s always helpful to have weather alerts enabled on your mobile or desktop devices so you’re notified of an approaching storm and can prepare in advance.
- If your home or your businesses is in a low elevated area, consider stocking up on sandbags to prevent flooding from entering your building structure.
- Avoid travelling during a storm at all costs, especially here in Phoenix as roadways can flood quickly. If you see a flooded road, do not try and drive through. It’s best to turn around and find an alternate route or pull over and wait for the storm to pass before getting back on the road.
Monsoon season has officially passed but that doesn’t mean we won’t see a few scattered storms here and there. It’s best to apply these storm safety practices to ensure you and your loved ones are safe. If you are experiencing water damage or mold damage caused by storms, you can call SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623) 537-9999. We’re always here to help.
Flash Floods and Water Damage
Phoenix Water Damage Can Happen from Flash Floods and Leaks
SERVPRO Pumps Out the Water and Mitigates Damages
Despite rare rainfall and a desert climate, the Arizona deserts are often home to some of the worst flooding events in the nation. The reason for this is a combination of climate, topography, and soil mixture, which in Arizona all combine to form highly flood-prone conditions. Generally, in the Sonoran Desert, when it rains it pours. And it pours a lot, with sudden and unexpected torrents of rain being commonplace during the wet seasons. However, other regions of the United States often have more rain in short periods of time than here, so why do we get hit with some of the worst floods?
The answer is quite simple. In Phoenix, water damage due to floods is ultimately the result of an extremely flat topography combined with clay-heavy soil. Phoenix is a construction company's paradise due to its large, flat, open spaces to develop into, but these cause problems during floods, where little terrain variation means floodwaters can rampage across neighborhoods and streets without much to stop them. Combine this with the clay-heavy and non-water absorbent soil of the desert, and you have a deadly mixture for fast-forming and wide-damaging flash floods.
To compound problems, rainfall in Arizona often comes in the form of violent but short sessions during which up to multiple inches of rain can fall in a period of minutes. This causes flash flooding, intense and heavy floods which form in minutes. Every few years, you may see some portion of highway on the nightly news, covered with water and swamped cars. This is one of the few natural disasters that can indeed hurt local homes, and unfortunately, there is not much to be done to prevent these occurrences from happening. However, at SERVPRO we are able to respond quickly after the disaster has happened and help residents to recover in a very short period. This means arriving on the site with the correct equipment and personnel to extract water and mitigate damages.
SERVPRO of Avondale / Goodyear / Southwest Phoenix has years of experience in dealing with the complexities of the Sonoran Desert and its climate and is ready after any major storm to deal with water damage in the local community. If you require our emergency restoration services, contact us 24/7 at (623) 537-9999.
Make your Avondale Home Flood-Proof
When the water starts rising, you want to be sure that your home is protected against flood damage.
Make your Home Flood-Proof
When the water starts rising, you want to be sure that your home is protected against flood damage. As we have learned from the recent flooding, no area is safe from the destruction caused by flooding. Flood and Avondale storm damage can range from the minimal to the extreme, but there are steps you can take to help avoid any damage at all.
One of the easiest things a homeowner can do to help flood-proof their home is to regularly clean out the gutters. Sure, gutters can be helpful during heavy rains, but not when they are clogged with leaves, dirt, and debris. Clogged gutters can cause a variety of issues for homeowners, including Avondale flood damage, landscape damage, erosion and even harm your home's foundation.
Flood Prevention Ideas
Besides cleaning out your gutters, there are a number of other precautions and upgrades that you can do to help prevent flood and Avondale storm damage to your home. Remember, an ounce of prevention can go a long way to protecting what's important to you.
• Look into investing in a sump pump. These machines help pump the water out of your basement.
• Move those precious family heirlooms and memories from the basement. Maybe the attic or an upstairs closet may be a safer spot for them.
• You can always install a flood detection device. When a flood hits and the water seeps into your basement, an alarm will go off telling you there is water present.
During the Flood
Once your home starts flooding, there are some things you can do to continue saving personal items and your family. It should be noted that entering a flooded basement can be dangerous.
• Before entering your flooded basement, be sure to turn off the main power supply if you can. This is usually located near your power breakers.
• It can be common for water supplies to become contaminated. Instead of risking illness, sterilize your bathtub and sinks so you can fill them with healthy, potable drinking water.
• If you still have important family mementos in the basement, try to move them to higher ground away from the oncoming water.
• If things get to be too much, be sure to call a professional. The experts at SERVPRO have years of experience in helping homeowners safely clean and protect their homes.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is strategically located to respond quickly to your water or flood damage event. When a major storm or flood event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
Flood and storm damage require specialized equipment and restoration techniques. We can respond immediately to storm and flood conditions. (623) 537-9999