Recent Storm Damage Posts
Monsoon Prep For Your Avondale Home Or Business
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is here to help you during the 2022 monsoon season.
Monsoon season is almost here and we here at SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix want to make sure you, as a homeowner or business owner, are prepared and know what to do to prevent flooding from occurring on your property.
Consider These Tips For Your Property
As an Avondale and Goodyear resident, you know that the summer monsoons are notorious for bringing heavy rains that can lead to flooding on the roadways and in homes and businesses. Some of the common issues we see take place are roof leaks or water entering in through doors or windows. Here are some things you can do to make sure you’re ahead of the game and prepared for when those storms arrive.
- Stay informed and updated with weather alerts in your area. That way you are aware of any incoming storms and if you’re in an area where flooding occurs, prepare in advance by picking up bags of sand so you can prevent water from flowing into your home, especially if you are in a lower elevated area.
- Inspect your roof for any damage such as damaged shingles. Be sure to hire an experienced roofer to make the necessary repairs.
- Inspect trees located around your property and have them trimmed when necessary. By doing this, you prevent large tree limbs from breaking off and causing damage to your roof or windows.
- Inspect the areas around your windows or doors to make sure they are properly sealed with no gaps for water to get through.
- If you have any patio furniture, be sure to store it in your garage or storage area or make sure it is properly secured. High winds can cause your patio furniture to be blown around and could possibly lead to broken windows.
Preparing For A Power Outage In Your Business
Stay on top of your business' productivity during a power outage in your business.
The biggest storm activity Avondale, Goodyear, and the greater Phoenix area sees, is during our monsoon season which happens during the summer months. Occasionally, we’ll see the scattered storms during the fall and winter months but for the most part, the active rainstorms happen from June to September.
Now is the optimal time for storm preparation in the event of a power outage. When this occurs, your business’s productivity can be affected greatly. To avoid this, we put together a list of options to help keep your business up and running during a power outage.
A commercial generator is a solution to have enough energy and power for your for your building for a limited time. Make sure you are properly trained on how to use a generator to avoid any malfunctions or fire hazards.
Use a UPS
A UPS is known as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that can prevent you from losing any unsaved data on your computer. A UPS provides emergency power drawn from the computers’ own batteries that allows you enough time to save your work and properly shut off your device.
Finding Offsite Wi-Fi Connections
When the power goes off, you lose connection to your Wi-Fi router. To resolve this, if you have a laptop running on it’s own battery, you can connect to other nearby Wi-Fi connections or you can create a hotspot from your mobile device.
All the above solutions aim to keep your business productivity in motion during a power outage so you don’t fall behind or disrupt your day to day processes.
Storm Preparation For Your Home
It's never too soon to start storm preparation on your home.
A new year is upon us with resolutions in place for some. Have you considered any resolutions concerning your home? SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix wants you to be prepared when it comes to storm preparation, so you are not left to deal with damage to your property that could have been avoided. Here are some tips to consider in making sure your home is storm proof from our yearly monsoon storms.
Storm Preparation For Your Home
- Have your roof inspected for signs of wear and tear and make the necessary repairs.
- Examine the trees that surround your home and trim or remove that could potentially cause damage to your home during high winds.
- Make sure all the drains are cleaned out and work properly. A functioning drainage system allows for water during rainstorms to flow away from the foundation.
- Thoroughly examine your doors and windows for any cracks or openings that may allow for water to enter your home.
2021 Monsoon Season
This year's monsoon season is a wrap!
Monsoon season has wrapped up here in Avondale, Goodyear and the greater Phoenix area. What a monsoon season we experienced! We saw everything that monsoons have to offer, from strong winds, heavy rains, and flooding, which was a nice change from last year’s nonexistent monsoon season.
Last year’s monsoon season had extreme heat and drought with only 2 days having measurable rainfall which put 2020 on record for being the driest monsoon. 2021, on the other hand, was the complete opposite, with 23 days of measurable rainfall and is on record for being the second most recorded. With July being the wettest month, the drought conditions in the state have improved to where only 14% of Arizona is in Extreme Drought conditions compared to the start of the year where 73% was in Exceptional Drought conditions. Monsoon seasons and rainfall varies year to year so we never know what we’re going to get during next year’s monsoon season. We can only hope that it will provide the state with much needed moisture that our beautiful state so desperately needs.
Monsoon Storms in Avondale and Goodyear
Give us a call at 623-537-9999 to help clean and restore your water damaged property.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix has had an influx of calls from Avondale and Goodyear residents, as well as businesses, who were dealing with the aftermath of heavy rainstorms and high winds that moved across the area within the past few weeks. This year’s 2021 monsoon season is on track to be the third wettest monsoon season Phoenix has seen, according to the National Weather Service.
Many Avondale and Goodyear residents as well as businesses, were burdened with storm damage their homes had received which included roof leaks causing water to leak into homes and causing damage to the home’s interior. Others had to deal with flooding issues and standing water in their homes causing great damage to their floors and walls as well as to their furniture and personal belongings. These homeowners were understandably stressed with the situation they were put in. Our SERVPRO technicians responded to these residents’ homes and businesses to clean and restore the property with professionalism and the utmost care.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is here to help with water damage and any mold growth that has occurred from the monsoon activity. Give us a call at 623-537-9999. We are always here to help.
Flooding and Mudslides During Monsoons
Believe it or not, mudslides can occur in the Valley due to homes being situated near mountains.
Monsoon Storms Are Coming
The triple digit temperatures have arrived and are here to stay for the next several months. With summer in full swing, Avondale and Goodyear have seen temperatures this past week rise up to a blazing 117 degrees. As Valley residents, we all know that means monsoon season is well on its way. These annual summer storms bring heavy rains that are notorious for causing flooding in lower elevated areas as well as in homes and properties near the many mountains that scatter across the city.
Flooding and Mudslides
Our crews have worked with homeowners who have had flooding and mudslides cause damage throughout their homes due to their property being close to a mountain. If your property is prone to flooding from runoffs of nearby mountains, SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is here and available to help you 24/7 with your storm damage emergency. Give us a call at 623-537-9999 and find out how we can help you.
Road Safety During A Haboob
Know what to do if you find yourself in a haboob or dust storm while driving.
You’ve seen the images and videos on Phoenix news stations and social media of large walls of dust moving across the Valley, you’ve seen the aftermath of dusty vehicles, downed trees from high winds, you may have even had to pull over while driving or run inside to avoid getting sandblasted. These large-scale dust storms, otherwise known as haboobs, go hand in hand with monsoon season.
Arizona’s monsoon season typically occurs from June to September when temperatures are at its highest. When thunderstorms are happening, they send down microbursts which spread out and create dust storms or haboobs. It’s important to know what to do in case you find yourself trapped in a haboob while you are out driving.
- Slow down and safely pull off the road or into a nearby parking lot if possible.
- Turn off your headlights. Some people think they should put on their hazard lights but it is advised NOT to do so. The reason is because when there’s a dust storm or haboob, visibility is extremely low. If you are pulled over and have your lights on, you don’t want to confuse a car that is behind you and cause them to potentially run into you.
- Take your foot off the brake pedal and put the vehicle in park. Remain in your vehicle until the storm passes.
Flooding Safety Tips
Do you have water damage in your home from a storm? Don't delay. Act right away and give us a call!
Storm season aka our beloved monsoon season is just a few months away! We can guarantee that this active storm time is every Avondale and Goodyear resident’s favorite. It gives our desert landscape some much needed moisture as well as giving us a nice break from the triple digit temperatures. But with monsoon season comes safety precautions pertaining especially to floods. Here are some tips to keep you safe when it comes to flooding that takes place in and out of your home.
- Never enter floodwaters as you don’t know what’s lurking in the water such as contaminated water or sharp objects. You also don’t want to get swept away in fast moving currents, if any.
- Pay attention to storm and flood warnings so you can act accordingly by avoiding being out on the roadways during an approaching storm.
- If you do find yourself on the roadways, avoid driving through floodwaters as your vehicle could potentially be swept away.
- If you do find yourself dealing with water damage in your home, do not ignore it. Give SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix a call to handle the water damage cleanup and dryout. The longer you wait, the more damage that could occur such as mold growth. We are available 24/7 for water damage emergencies occurring from floods so give us a call at 623-537-9999.
Prepare In Advance For Storms
Protect your home now from future storms.
It is January 2021 which means Happy New Year! Everyone here at SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix hopes you’re having a great start to the new year and wishes you success and happiness for 2021.
Prepare Your Home
Storms in the southwest Phoenix areas have been pretty non-existent so far with 2020 having only 15 days of measurable rain. The last day the Valley received some moisture was on December 10th which ended the 110 day dry streak. Although much of the state is experiencing severe drought due to a dry winter, now would be the optimal time to start repairs on your home for the monsoon season which typically begins in June. Before that time arrives, here’s what you can do in the meantime to prepare your home:
- Inspect the roof for damages such as broken or missing shingles and make the necessary repairs.
- Examine the trees that surround your home and trim or remove the ones that look like they could cause damage during high winds that monsoon storms bring.
- Make sure your home’s draining system is working properly to prevent water from pooling in your yard.
- Examine your windows, doors, and exterior of the home for any cracks that could allow for water to enter.
Even though the Phoenix area has no foreseeable storms in the near future, it is still a good time to plan and ahead by making any necessary repairs to your home to prevent any storm damage from occurring once monsoon season arrives.
Fall Autumn Storms In Avondale and Goodyear
Autumn rainstorms in Avondale and Goodyear can be intense. If your home is dealing with flood damage from these rainstorms, give our office a call!
Even though we reside in the Arizonan desert, Avondale and Goodyear residents are still prone to flooding during those scattered autumn rainstorms that we see move into the Valley each year around this time. Next week, we’ll see our 90 degree temps dip into the mid 80’s and low 70’s with a 40% chance of rain on Monday. After a not so active monsoon season, this moisture is very well welcomed as we are finally receiving cooler temperatures after a scorching hot summer. These infrequent rainstorms during this time of the year can bring flooding to city streets causing damage to residential and commercial properties.
Prevent Damage During Flooding
In order to minimize flooding damage to your property, here are some safety tips so you're prepared for the next incoming storm. Inspect your property and make any necessary repairs such as roof repairs and fixing/cleaning out gutters. You can also buy sandbags to have on hand to place as a barrier around your home, especially if your property is in a low elevation area. The sandbags will prevent water from entering your home. Once the storm has subsided, be sure to inspect your home and again, inspect your home for any new damages that may have occurred.
Call SERVPRO For Flood Cleanup
If you find yourself dealing with flooding damage to your property, call SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix right away.
Monsoon Storms In Southwest Phoenix
Experiencing water damage from monsoon storms? Give us a call at 623-537-9999!
Triple digit temperatures are nothing new when it comes to the Valley of the Sun. Last week, the Valley saw Excessive Heat Warnings with last Monday marking 45 days of high temperatures reaching 110 degrees or higher. Thankfully, Phoenix residents got a nice break from the heat when Southwest Phoenix and other areas of the Valley saw quite the monsoon storms last week.
Torrential rains pounded the streets of Avondale and Goodyear causing flooding in city streets. Haboob dust storms also rolled through the Valley which caused damage to building structures such as broken windows by fallen trees and damaged roofs.
If monsoon storms have caused damage to your residential or commercial property, give SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix a call today at 623-537-9999. We are available 24/7 for water damage emergencies such as flooding and water leaks related to any storms that move through the Valley.
Haboob Dust Storms in Phoenix
Monsoon season in Avondale and Goodyear also means haboobs. Avoid storm damage from these dust storms with these tips!
The onset of monsoon season typically signals the start of severe dust storms known here in the Valley as haboobs. In recent years, we’ve seen huge dust clouds and massive walls of dust completely blanket parts of our city during an incoming monsoon. As we near monsoon season, it’s important to be aware of the possible hazards that can affect your property.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix has compiled a list of tips to help get your property prepared to avoid any haboob damage.
- The aftermath of a haboob can cause downed trees throughout the Valley so make sure to trim trees that are around your property to prevent them from causing damage to your windows or roof.
- Inspect your roof or have a professional inspect for you to ensure there are no damages. Haboobs are typically followed by monsoon downpours and the last thing you want to deal with is rainwater pouring into your home.
- If you have any outdoor furniture or patio umbrellas, be sure to place them in your garage or storage to prevent it from flying away during the haboob’s high winds and possibly causing damage to your home.
By following these steps, we hope that your property remains safe once the monsoon dust storms arrive. If your property is faced with storm damage, give SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix a call at 623-537-9999. We are always here to help.
If your property is dealing with storm damage, give SERVPRO a call. We'll handle the cleanup and restoration!
The temps are rising here in Goodyear and the greater Phoenix area where we are already met with triple digit temps. The onset of the scorching Arizona heat officially signals that summer is officially here. You know what else is almost here? If you guessed monsoon season, you are correct!
Monsoon season is always welcomed here in the Valley as it provides Phoenicians with a nice break from the heat. But with the frequent storms passing through, some residential and commercial properties may experience damage caused by high winds and flooding. When that happens, you can rely on SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to handle the cleanup process.
Our SERVPRO crew has experience when it comes to storm and monsoon cleanup. We’ll make sure to take the best care of your home when storm damage is to blame. Give us a call to find out more!
Prevent Floods In Your Business
Make sure your business is prepared ahead of time to prevent floodwaters from affecting your property.
Avondale and Goodyear residents know all too well that an incoming storm can happen in a flash, especially during our summer monsoon season. The skies can be sunny one moment, and dark cloudy skies the next, signaling an incoming storm. Because of this, it’s always best to be prepared in order to protect your business from flooding that can occur on your property. Here is what SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix recommends.
1. Install a Sump Pump
A sump pump works by quickly extracting and removing water from the interior of your business.
2. Clean Gutters
Be sure to clean out the gutters on your property to assure that there’s no blockage to prevent water from draining properly. If the gutters remain clogged with debris, you prevent water from draining from your roof which could lead to the possibility of a roof leak. Make sure that you clean out the gutters and position them to drain away from the property.
3. Use Sealants
Make sure you have your property fully inspected for any openings such as cracks or holes. When these are left unattended, you allow for the possibility of more water entering your building when floodwater is on the rise.
These are some simple steps that business owners can do to prevent flooding from happening to your property.
Dealing With Storm Damage? Let Us Help!
Give us a call! We are here to help!
When it comes to storm damage, you can rely on SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to be there to help your home or business when dealing with the aftermath of a storm. Here in the Valley, rainstorms can cause quite the storm damage, especially during our summer monsoon season. We’ve seen our fair share of homes and businesses that have dealt with substantial damage caused by flooding from inclement weather. During this devastating time, we at SERVPRO want you to know that we know the damage that can occur within a matter of minutes which is why we are available 24/7 and ready to respond to your emergency. Give us a call at 623-537-9999. We are always here to help.
Count On SERVPRO To Help With Storm Damage
You can trust SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to take care of your home or business in the event of flooding from a storm.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is always here to help when it comes to dealing with storm damage. Although the monsoon season has ended here in the Valley, it’s not uncommon for us to experience rainstorms that can dump tons of water causing flooding in residential and commercial properties. Our SERVPRO technicians are experienced in dealing with flooding situations that cause water damage to your Avondale or Goodyear property. You can trust our technicians to properly dry out the moisture with our SERVPRO extraction and drying equipment. Our SERVPRO technicians also use special moisture reading tools to detect where the moisture has traveled to so they can ensure they dry out the moisture properly to prevent mold growth from occurring. Our technicians will monitor your home until the property is fully dried and restored to its previous condition.
SERVPRO is always here to help. We are available 24/7 to personally answer your call. Give us a call to find out more!
Prevent Storm Damage In Your Avondale Home
Prevent storm damage from affecting your Avondale home.
Monsoon season here in Avondale, Goodyear and for most of the Valley, has had a pretty slow kickoff than what we are normally used to seeing. This monsoon season, the valley has seen rainfall amounts of .27” which is 83% below normal than the 1.55” of what we’ve typically averaged. We have a good month left in the monsoon season and we have our fingers crossed that we’ll be receiving some much needed moisture in our desert Regardless of a slow monsoon season or not, it’s important for homeowners to understand storm damage and how to reduce the chances of it affecting your property. Here’s how to do so.
- Prepare for the storm season or incoming storms by inspecting your property and making the necessary repairs before a storm arrives.
- Prepare for an incoming storm by placing sandbags around your home to divert water and mud away from your property, especially if it’s in a low elevation area. Make sure to trim any tree branches that have the potential of landing on your home.
- Inspect your property after a storm.
- If you discover damages, make sure to repair them right away.
In addition, some extra safety measures to take into consideration are:
- Report storm damage to public streets and roads such as flooded areas, downed trees, and power lines.
- Pay attention to the news and weather stations so you are up to date on incoming storms.
- Make sure you know where to acquire materials such as sandbags.
- Prepare an emergency kit which should include a first aid kit, food and water that’s lasts up to 5 days, blankets, batteries and flashlights.
Mold Growth From Storms In Your Goodyear Home
Think you have mold? Give SERVPRO a call today.
Avondale, Goodyear, and the rest of the Phoenix valley has received significant rainfall amounts beginning in October of last year making for an extremely wet winter, one that Phoenix residents aren’t particularly used to seeing. According to the National Weather Service, “At more than a third of the way through our water year (Oct.1-Sep.30) Phoenix has received 8.42" of rain. This makes 2019 the 4th wettest water year to date in the period of record!” (National Weather Service).
Although this added moisture can be great for our region, it can cause problems for some homeowners, particularly with mold growth. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix has received many calls from desperate homeowners looking for solutions once they discovered mold growth on their property.
If you have discovered mold growth in your home, give our office a call for an inspection and Mold Damage Assessment at 623-537-9999. SERVPRO is always here to help 24/7.
Outdoor Thunder & Lightning Safety Tips
Stay safe during thunder and lightning storms this monsoon season!
Monsoon season is just around the corner here in Avondale, Goodyear, and the rest of the Phoenix area. Monsoon storms will be here before you know it. With the constant rainstorms throughout the summer brings blowing dust, roaring thunderstorms, and a sky lit up with lightning bolts. Although a lightning storm can be exciting to watch unfold in the skies above, it’s always important to consider your safety when doing so. SERVPRO put together some helpful tips to keep you and your loved ones safe while observing nature’s wonders.
Outdoor Safety Precautions
- Avoid outdoor activity during a thunderstorm. If you find yourself outdoors and you hear thunder, immediately get indoors or seek shelter elsewhere in an enclosed space.
- Always use the 30/30 Rule. After you see lightning, count to 30. If you hear thunder roar before you get to 30, get indoors immediately. Wait 30 minutes until after the last sound of thunder before you can continue outdoor activities.
- Stay away from concrete floors and walls as electrical currents can travel through metal wires that are in the floors or walls.
Indoor Safety Precautions
- Avoid using water during a thunderstorm since electrical currents can travel through plumbing.
- Avoid using electronics.
- Avoid using corded phones. Cell phones and wireless phones are okay.
These are the main outdoor safety precautions you want to follow when it comes to outdoor storm safety during the monsoon season.
Roof Leak? Here’s What To Do
Be sure to check your roof biannually for damages.
Roof leaks can be an annoyance to deal with for both home owners and businesses in Avondale, Goodyear, and Southwest Phoenix, especially when you’re dealing with them during our active summer monsoon months. Here are some tips we recommend to make sure that your roof is in excellent shape.
Inspect The Roof
If you are experiencing a leak, you may want to inspect the roof for damages. This could include missing shingles, wind damaged areas or damp areas. Each situation requires different types of repair. Make sure to inspect your roof biannually for damages.
Repair Damages Quickly
When you do discover what the cause of a roof leak is, it’s important to take action immediately and take care of repairs right away to avoid further damage.
Thoroughly Check Over The Area
Make sure to thoroughly check over your entire roof to make sure that there are no other damages. We recommend contacting a professional to make the needed repairs.
Experiencing Flooding From A Storm? Here's What You Should Do
We are ready to respond to your flooding emergency.
Rainstorms here in the Valley can dump significant amounts of rain, especially during monsoon season. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix responded to many homes and businesses affected by water damage due to these storms. Many residents and businesses were unprepared and had no idea what to do when they found that their building structures had flooding from the storms.
We are still a few months out until the 2019 monsoon season makes its grand entry but until then, here are some helpful tips to prepare you to know what to do in case your home or business is experiencing flooding.
- Remove excess water by mopping up or blotting with towels.
- Remove wet cushions from couches and chairs and prop them up. Follow the same steps for upholstery.
- Place furniture up on wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpets. Another alternative is to place aluminum foil between the furniture and wet carpet.
- Remove rugs from wet carpeting and pick up any of your belongings that are on the floor.
Once the above steps have been completed, go ahead and give us a call at (623) 537-9999. We’ll arrive so that we can begin the drying process.
Storm Damage During Monsoon Season
Removing water damaged wood flooring requires protecting non-affected areas from incidental damage during removal and restoration process.
Monsoon season in Avondale, Goodyear, and Southwest Phoenix typically begins around June and ends around September. Monsoon 2018 was pretty active and storms rolled through the Valley lasting until October which led to record rainfalls across the Valley. Unfortunately, monsoon storms can lead to pretty severe water and storm damage. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix received many calls from homeowners who were dealing with storm damage such as: flooded homes, leaky roofs, and downed trees causing broken windows. In the peak of monsoon season, we received a call from a homeowner in which their property, which is located in a lower elevation area, had experienced severe flooding in and around their home due to water flowing down from a nearby mountain. The floodwaters had entered the home which led caused damage to the resident’s wood floors, walls, furniture, and personal belongings.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix arrived on scene to begin the cleanup and restoration process for getting their home back in order.
If you’re dealing with storm damage or water damage, you can count on SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to help you in your time of need. We are available 24/7 to answer your call and will help get your home back up and running “Like it never even happened.”
Storm Safety Tips
Flooded roadways like this were seen during recent storms here in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix.
The monsoon season has officially wrapped up here in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix. We saw quite the storm activity in the Greater Phoenix area which led to dust storms and record rainfalls causing flooded roadways, knocked down trees and power-lines. Because of this, many homes and businesses experienced massive amounts of water and mold damage due to these heavy storms. Here at SERVPRO, we decided to put together some information regarding storms here in the Valley and how you and your family can be safe during one.
- Make sure to clean out your roof drains so that rain can properly drain to prevent water from collecting on your roof.
- Take time to trim trees around your home to prevent them from breaking and possibly falling on your home or vehicle.
- Secure outdoor furniture to prevent them from blowing away during heavy winds. Make sure children’s playground equipment is secured to the ground and any smaller outdoor furniture items are stored indoors or in your garage.
- It’s always helpful to have weather alerts enabled on your mobile or desktop devices so you’re notified of an approaching storm and can prepare in advance.
- If your home or your businesses is in a low elevated area, consider stocking up on sandbags to prevent flooding from entering your building structure.
- Avoid travelling during a storm at all costs, especially here in Phoenix as roadways can flood quickly. If you see a flooded road, do not try and drive through. It’s best to turn around and find an alternate route or pull over and wait for the storm to pass before getting back on the road.
Monsoon season has officially passed but that doesn’t mean we won’t see a few scattered storms here and there. It’s best to apply these storm safety practices to ensure you and your loved ones are safe. If you are experiencing water damage or mold damage caused by storms, you can call SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623) 537-9999. We’re always here to help.
Flash Floods and Water Damage
Phoenix Water Damage Can Happen from Flash Floods and Leaks
SERVPRO Pumps Out the Water and Mitigates Damages
Despite rare rainfall and a desert climate, the Arizona deserts are often home to some of the worst flooding events in the nation. The reason for this is a combination of climate, topography, and soil mixture, which in Arizona all combine to form highly flood-prone conditions. Generally, in the Sonoran Desert, when it rains it pours. And it pours a lot, with sudden and unexpected torrents of rain being commonplace during the wet seasons. However, other regions of the United States often have more rain in short periods of time than here, so why do we get hit with some of the worst floods?
The answer is quite simple. In Phoenix, water damage due to floods is ultimately the result of an extremely flat topography combined with clay-heavy soil. Phoenix is a construction company's paradise due to its large, flat, open spaces to develop into, but these cause problems during floods, where little terrain variation means floodwaters can rampage across neighborhoods and streets without much to stop them. Combine this with the clay-heavy and non-water absorbent soil of the desert, and you have a deadly mixture for fast-forming and wide-damaging flash floods.
To compound problems, rainfall in Arizona often comes in the form of violent but short sessions during which up to multiple inches of rain can fall in a period of minutes. This causes flash flooding, intense and heavy floods which form in minutes. Every few years, you may see some portion of highway on the nightly news, covered with water and swamped cars. This is one of the few natural disasters that can indeed hurt local homes, and unfortunately, there is not much to be done to prevent these occurrences from happening. However, at SERVPRO we are able to respond quickly after the disaster has happened and help residents to recover in a very short period. This means arriving on the site with the correct equipment and personnel to extract water and mitigate damages.
SERVPRO of Avondale / Goodyear / Southwest Phoenix has years of experience in dealing with the complexities of the Sonoran Desert and its climate and is ready after any major storm to deal with water damage in the local community. If you require our emergency restoration services, contact us 24/7 at (623) 537-9999.
Make your Avondale Home Flood-Proof
When the water starts rising, you want to be sure that your home is protected against flood damage.
Make your Home Flood-Proof
When the water starts rising, you want to be sure that your home is protected against flood damage. As we have learned from the recent flooding, no area is safe from the destruction caused by flooding. Flood and Avondale storm damage can range from the minimal to the extreme, but there are steps you can take to help avoid any damage at all.
One of the easiest things a homeowner can do to help flood-proof their home is to regularly clean out the gutters. Sure, gutters can be helpful during heavy rains, but not when they are clogged with leaves, dirt, and debris. Clogged gutters can cause a variety of issues for homeowners, including Avondale flood damage, landscape damage, erosion and even harm your home's foundation.
Flood Prevention Ideas
Besides cleaning out your gutters, there are a number of other precautions and upgrades that you can do to help prevent flood and Avondale storm damage to your home. Remember, an ounce of prevention can go a long way to protecting what's important to you.
• Look into investing in a sump pump. These machines help pump the water out of your basement.
• Move those precious family heirlooms and memories from the basement. Maybe the attic or an upstairs closet may be a safer spot for them.
• You can always install a flood detection device. When a flood hits and the water seeps into your basement, an alarm will go off telling you there is water present.
During the Flood
Once your home starts flooding, there are some things you can do to continue saving personal items and your family. It should be noted that entering a flooded basement can be dangerous.
• Before entering your flooded basement, be sure to turn off the main power supply if you can. This is usually located near your power breakers.
• It can be common for water supplies to become contaminated. Instead of risking illness, sterilize your bathtub and sinks so you can fill them with healthy, potable drinking water.
• If you still have important family mementos in the basement, try to move them to higher ground away from the oncoming water.
• If things get to be too much, be sure to call a professional. The experts at SERVPRO have years of experience in helping homeowners safely clean and protect their homes.
Locally Owned Company with National Storm Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is strategically located to respond quickly to your water or flood damage event. When a major storm or flood event occurs, we can call upon our national network of 1,650 SERVPRO Franchises and special Disaster Recovery Teams if we need additional resources or personnel.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
Flood and storm damage require specialized equipment and restoration techniques. We can respond immediately to storm and flood conditions. (623) 537-9999