Recent Fire Damage Posts
Trust SERVPRO To Handle The Fire Damage Cleanup
You can trust SERVPRO to handle the cleanup for your smoke and fire damage.
Fires can be unpredictable and can unleash a significant amount of damage to homes or businesses. Big or small, no matter what the size of the fire is, the destruction that it can cause can be chaotic, disheartening and can cause a huge inconvenience by forcing you to move out of your home or business temporarily. It will have you questioning what to do next once the smoke clears and the fire department leaves. That’s when you can call on SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to provide fire and smoke damage cleanup and restoration. Our SERVPRO technicians are have all the necessary equipment, experience, and are highly trained in all the latest techniques to restore your property back to its previous condition so that you can get back under your own roof.
If you are experiencing fire damage, give our office a call at 623-537-9999. We are available 24/7 to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Be Safe This Halloween!
Have a fun and safe Halloween!
Halloween is just around the corner and will be here before you know it. Of course, it can be fun and games, trick or treating, decorations, parties, costumes, and jack-o-lanterns, but it’s always important to adhere to proper precautions to ensure your Halloween is celebrated safely. Here are some helpful tips to keep you and your family safe while you're out and about and to also keep you safe from potential fire damage.
- Yes, candles can be fun and can add a “spooky” ambiance. If you’re going to use candles, make sure you are nearby. NEVER leave lighted candles unattended, especially those that are in jack o’ lanterns that are left outside. You never know when heavy wind gusts or perhaps, someone could accidentally knock a pumpkin over leading to flames spreading. Instead, opt for battery operated candles which are much safer.
- Avoid using flammable decorations such as crepe paper for instance. You can use these but keep them away from heat sources such as lightbulbs, stringed lights and heaters. The same applies for decorations such as corn stalk material.
- Choose the right costumes that are made of flame-resistant materials. You also want to make sure they are the right size to prevent tripping or falling.
- Make sure to place reflective tape or stickers on costumes so that you are seen while out navigating streets at night. Provide your children with flashlights or glow sticks to carry while they are out trick or treating so that they are visible to drivers on the road.
- Travel in groups and always be on alert. Always use the crosswalk and obey traffic signals. Be extremely cautious when crossing driveways.
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix provides these safety tips so that you can have a fun and safe Halloween!
When was the last time you cleaned out your lint filter?
Prevent a Dryer Fire in Your Home
Clothes dryers are a modern amenity in every household. Let’s be honest, they make the laundry process so much easier, right? If it weren’t for dryers, we’d still be hanging our clothes out on the clothes line which can be a little hard to do, especially when you live in the city. Oftentimes, due to our busy schedules, we forget about simple dryer maintenance such as cleaning out the lint filter, vacuuming underneath and around the dryer, and keeping all flammable materials stored away from the dryer. Here are some tips for Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix residents to remember when it comes to dryer safety and maintenance.
- Do not leave your dryer running in an empty house. Always make sure you are nearby, just in case.
- Be sure to clean out the lint filter before and after each usage. You want to make this a habit in your laundry routine. Even a little lint buildup can lead to a potential fire starting.
- Do not store items on top or around your dryer. This includes items such as towels, blankets, clothes, etc. Do not store any flammables such as household cleaners nearby as well. In the event of a potential fire starting, you do not want to add additional fuel to a flame. Make sure to sweep or vacuum underneath and around your dryer to pick up any lint that may be collecting.
- Be sure to inspect the vent hose (located behind your dryer) for wear and tear. If your hose is plastic or a foil accordion style hose, replace with a metal hose as these are more durable. A plastic or foil accordion style hose can have a buildup of lint on the inside.
- Have your venting and exhaust system inspected every year. It’s best to contact a qualified professional to do some cleaning and inspecting to ensure that everything is running properly.
When it comes to heat-producing appliances, it’s best to practice extra caution, especially when it comes to your clothes dryer. Nearly 3,000 dryer fires are reported each year. Be sure to practice these safety tips to ensure your home and family is safe from potential fire damage. For more information on fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623)537-9999.
Practice Electrical Safety
If you detect a burning smell or sparks coming from an electrical outlet, be sure to contact a qualified electrician to inspect.
We use electricity every single day. From the moment we flip on a light switch or charge our phones, it’s there and will continue to be a part of our everyday routine. We oftentimes forget just how integral electricity is in our daily lives until we experience something like a power outage or forget to pay our electric bill. Simply put, electricity makes our lives so much easier. Nevertheless, we need to practice safety and caution when it comes to electricity in our homes or businesses. Here is some essential information regarding electrical safety that all homeowners and business owners in Avondale, Goodyear and Southwest Phoenix should be aware of.
- Don’t plug too many appliances that are in use in one outlet, especially if it’s a heat producing appliance such as a crock pot, toaster, or a space heater.
- Plug major appliances (such as stove, refrigerator, washer/dryer, microwave, etc.) directly into a wall outlet. Do not plug them into extension cords or power strips.
- Do not have electrical cords running underneath carpets/rugs as you run the risk of heat building up and potentially starting a fire.
- Do not use extension cords for an extended period. They are only meant for temporary usage.
- Hire a professional and qualified electrician to handle all electrical work. Don’t try and do it yourself to try and save a few bucks.
- If you’ve bought a new home or are planning on remodeling, make sure the electrical work is in accordance with local requirements.
If you encounter any electrical issues such as flickering lights, constant blown fuses or tripped circuits, a burning smell from an outlet, or sparks coming from an outlet, please contact a qualified electrician to assess the situation.
If you are dealing with fire or smoke damage from an electrical fire, contact SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623) 537-9999. We are always here to help.
Avoid A Kitchen Grease Fire
Do not leave your stove unattended while it's in use.
Cooking. We all do it, some of us better then others, but we all do it, whether it’d be whipping up some scrambled eggs, cooking up some stir fry, or doing the three-course meal. Cooking is the leading cause of fire injuries and home fires in the United States. What can start as a small grease fire can eventually grow and spread to other areas of your home if it’s not safely contained. Here are some helpful tips to help Avondale, Goodyear, and Southwest Phoenix residents when it comes to safely putting out a grease fire in your home.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen and know how to use it.
- Be sure to have the handles on your pots and pans facing inwards as to avoid accidentally knocking it onto the ground.
- Do not leave the stove unattended while cooking. Always remain in close proximity of the stove when in use.
- Keep kitchen towels, pot holders, and anything that is flammable away from the stove.
- Watch the heat carefully. If the pan gets too hot, the grease will start to boil or splatter, and the pan will start to smoke which could lead to flames. When you notice the pan start to smoke, turn the heat down immediately and watch carefully.
- If a hot pan does catch on fire, use pot holders to place a lid or baking sheet on top of the pan. If you don’t have a lid or baking sheet available, you can also resort to using baking soda. Be sure to carefully pour it over the flames. The key here is to smother the flames. DO NOT use water or anything else that is flammable to try and put out the flames.
- If none of those options are working, use your fire extinguisher. If the flames do get out of hand, do not try and put it out. Instead, have you and your family evacuate immediately and call 911.
With the holidays coming up, many of us will be in the kitchen preparing large meals. To avoid a potential grease fire from happening, you can apply the above tips. Applying these safety tips will protect you, your home, and most importantly, your loved ones.
If you do find yourself dealing with fire or smoke damage in your kitchen from a grease fire, you can count on SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix to provide restoration services. Give SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix a call at (623) 537-9999.
Smoke Alarm Safety 101
When was the last time you tested your smoke alarm?
Smoke alarms can be a life saver. Literally. In a 2015 report from The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), “three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms (38%) or no working smoke alarms (21%)”. This statistic alone is startling and shows the importance of having smoke alarms in your home or business. SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix has some helpful tips for how to properly install and maintain them to ensure the safety of you and your family.
- Alarms should be installed on the inside and outside of bedrooms.
- Install a smoke alarm on each level of your home.
- Use an interconnected alarm system which allows for all alarms in your home or business to sound off when one alarm is set off.
- Do not install a smoke alarm near your kitchen as you don’t want any false alarms such as smoke from burnt toast.
- Test all smoke alarms once a month to ensure they are running properly.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once every year.
- Replace your smoke alarm every 10 years. Be sure to check the back of your alarm for the manufacturer’s date so you know when to replace.
Nearly 3,000 deaths were reported in 2016 from home fires in the United States. Be sure to take the proper precautions to protect you and the lives of those around you by adhering to the recommended safety tips listed above.
If you find yourself dealing with Fire Damage, call SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix at (623) 537-9999 for additional information.
Fire Damage Avondale - Dealing with Avondale Fire Damage
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix can restore your Avondale home from fire damage and make it "Like it never even happened."
Dealing with Fire Damage in Avondale
Fire damage in Avondale frequently strikes homes large and small, often in unpredictable and unusual ways. Large fires can engulf entire buildings or portions of them, and smaller fires can still cause enough damage so as to make the home temporarily unlivable. It can be difficult for many homeowners to cope with the effects of a fire, both financially and emotionally. Luckily, many services exist to help with the transition back into normal life after a fire in your Avondale home.
If you have homeowners' insurance, a great deal or all of the financial loss associated with a house fire is typically covered by the insurance provider. You should contact your provider as soon as possible after the fire, to find out what is and is not covered under your policy. The provider may also launch an investigation to ensure that the fire was not started purposefully, but you should be able to receive significant financial help in most cases.
Restoration and Repair Services
Professional restoration companies help to salvage and rebuild all that can be recovered from an Avondale fire, and assist in potentially hazardous repair work. These teams are composed of professionals and experienced workers, and can typically help you to get back to your home and repair most damages as quickly as possible.
Counseling and Therapists
Many mental health professionals are used to interacting with victims of fire damage, as many objects and records of sentimental value may be lost in a fire. Finding a mental health professional willing to take on and experienced in cases related to fire damage to your home may be worth the money, even if you felt stable and composed in the aftermath.
If you lack the money to stay at a hotel while the house is being repaired, many charities and locations exist with the purpose of giving families a roof to stay under for short periods of time. Additionally, many churches and other religious organizations may be willing to let you stay on their property. If this is an issue for you, be sure to ask around at local charitable organizations for help.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
A locally owned and operated company, SERVPRO of Avondale / Goodyear / Southwest Phoenix is committed to helping all residents in repairing and restoring their homes in the face of natural disaster. If you are in need of repair and restoration services, give us a call at (623) 537-9999.
Phoenix Smoke Damage And Your Possessions
Smoke and Fire Damage Are No Match for SERVPRO
SERVPRO Restores Your Possessions in Phoenix After Smoke Damage
Once a fire takes place on your property, Phoenix smoke and fire damage are the outcome. You likely find yourself experiencing anxiety and concern regarding the condition of your residential living space. Smoke damage to your possessions presents unique challenges to SERVPRO for successful salvaging. For example, the smoke that results from a fire can leave behind a residue that coats your property and causes issues such as warping, rusting, corrosion, etching, discoloration, and staining. Smoke generates unwanted odors that that are stubborn to remove. There are four categories of property items that are specifically susceptible to extensive, expensive damage from the smoke and soot that fires generate.
Wooden furniture will often require careful, extensive treatment due to smoke and soot damage. Typically, wood is very porous, which makes it more susceptible to retaining odors, acquiring residue, and taking on staining. Hard surfaces offer a landing point for oily soot.
Carpets, Drapes, Upholstery, and Rugs
Each of these items is recognized for absorbing and subsequently retaining unpleasant smells. Depending on the level of penetration and type of material, the odors generated by smoke soot can be difficult to remove completely. SERVPRO utilizes specialized dry cleaning services for fabrics.
A library replete with well-kept books in good condition can quickly deteriorate into a library full of damaged books. The heat and acid generated by the smoke can degrade book bindings and cause discoloration of the pages. If the books were wetted, we have specific equipment and techniques for drying and restoring, if possible.
Different media of artwork can be adversely impacted from smoke damage, and some of them include antique sculptures, original paintings and framing, and family photographs and albums. Although you may feel inclined to complete the restoration process on your own, it is always best to contact industry experts to do the job. If you complete the cleaning process incorrectly or incompletely, you could permanently damage or even destroy your valuable artwork. SERVPRO can restore many artifacts but recognizes limitations and liabilities. We can secure the services of an art museum or a private company for restoration.
Choose SERVPRO Now!
Once your property is impacted by smoke damage, there's only one company to call for professional restoration: SERVPRO. With over 57 years of experience in the industry and all members of our team IICRC-certified professionals, we are passionate about offering customized services that suit your individual needs and preferences. We offer free estimates, a fast response, and immediate customer service. Don't put up with unwanted smoke damage and odors for a moment longer. Instead, allow us to restore your property "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage?
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is dedicated to responding immediately day or night to your Phoenix home or business. We offer 24/7 service to Phoenix, Goodyear, and Avondale and are proud to help our local communities. Call us. (623) 537-9999
Avondale Fire Damage Cleanup and Restoration
After a house fire, a home can be severely damaged both in the structure and cosmetically.
Fire Damage Cleanup and Restoration
Avondale fire damage remediation occurs when a house was involved in a fire and has suffered water and smoke damage. Homeowners should hire professionals to help with fire damage remediation to restore the damaged areas and make the home livable again. After a house fire, a home can be severely damaged both in the structure and cosmetically. To ensure the job is done precise, call a remediation company like SERVPRO.
How Fire Damage Remediation Works
Once a fire has damaged a home, specific areas need to be cleaned and restored. This includes rebuilding the structure that has been damaged, removing debris, cleaning the HVAC components, and drying out the inside of the home.
Comprehensive Avondale fire damage remediation companies can help you make sure the structure of your home is safe for your family. Structural beams, floorboards, and framing can be replaced. As long as the structure has been restored to its original state, your home should be safe.
After a fire, there will be a lot of debris that cannot be salvaged. A good fire damage remediation company will go throughout the home and discard all items that have been affected by the fire, smoke, and water. Certain items cannot be saved, and it is usually easier to let the professionals handle this task.
Cleaning the HVAC
Any time a home has been affected by water and smoke; the HVAC system needs to be professionally cleaned. A fire damage remediation company can clean the filters and coils or determine if they need to be replaced. Contingent on the extent of the damage, you may need a new system.
Drying out the Home
Water damage can destroy many items in the home quickly. Damp furniture will develop mold and mildew and standing water will damage drywall and other structures. Professionals who work with a Avondale fire damage remediation company will use dehumidifiers and air moving machines to dry the home and prevent mold.
When cleaning up from fire damage it is best to let the professionals do the job. A fire damage remediation company like SERVPRO can respond quickly and get to work to remove the water and begin the drying process. Remediation companies can identify items that can be salvaged and make an inventory of items that need to be discarded. Allowing the professionals to come in and the do their job will get your life back to normal as quickly as possible.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Avondale/Goodyear/Southwest Phoenix is locally owned and operated, so we are part of this community too. When you have a smoke or fire damage emergency, we’re already nearby and ready to help. We take pride in being a part of the Avondale community and want to do our part in making it the best it can be.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
Our expertise in fire damage is extensive. SERVPRO utilizes IICRC training as part of our on-going education to stay ahead of the curve. Call us for help. (623) 537-9999